Tuesday 3 May 2016

Upon Westminster Bridge at Show Us Your Stuff.

UPON WESTMINSTER BRIDGE by William Wordsworth.
Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth like a garment wear

The beauty of the morning: silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky,
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.

Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!

The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!
                                                   ******************
I learnt this poem in high school and could repeat it parrot fashion in 1969.
In 2009 my daughter and I went to England and stayed in Lambeth, right near the bridge.
On our first day there we walked across it, stopping in the middle.
I started to recite the poem, much to my daughter's amazement!
(Amazing what sticks in the back of your brain.)

This layout features 3 photos from that day. I don't look very happy, I think it was cold.
I've used gold hearts plus a hessian tag that I made myself from recycled items.(hessian, cardboard, scrap paper,3 screws and sticker). I hope the tag qualifies!
It is a traditional style layout, but I like it.
It is for http://showusyourstuff.blogspot.com.au/




9 comments:

Susanne said...

Nice page, love that tag!

Deena said...

Loved reading the story behind your page Julene, thank you for joining the challenge at Show Us Your Stuff and your tag is fantastic and is a wonderful use of recycled products that you used to create it.

LCSmithSAVED said...

Utterly charming page! The poem & your photos of being right on the spot is such an evocative moment. Loved your handmade throwback tag (every time I see something hessian on your pages I wonder if it's from that costume, lol) :D

Krisy said...

This is a lovely page. I especially love the detail on the tag. Thanks for playing with us at SUYS

Sandra said...

Fabulous story, and I like that it is traditional scrapping. Thanks for joining us at SUYS.

Amanda said...

great page, Love that tag! Thanks for joining in at SUYS.

Unknown said...

Great page, and a cool story to go with it! Thanks for playing along at SUYS! :)

Creative Craft Retreat said...

Thanks for joining us Julianne, love the story and your tag is so cute!

Creative Craft Retreat said...

Sorry Julene. I mispelt your name. :(