Thursday 13 September 2012

Coconuts at Kraft it up

The printed Kraft paper called for a travel photo.I took the photo of the coconut tree earlier this year in the Cook Islands where we had a BBQ on an island and were shown how to climb a tree and cull the coconuts.
I started by painting over a negative of shapes in white paint,then misted lightly in green.While misting,I made the coconut palm frond using another negative .In the middle of these I've sewn 3 buttons to resemble coconuts.I matted the photo on green paper(distressed edges),adding another strip of green underneath.This reminded me of the sea and I found the turtle for a bit of fun.We did actually see turtles that day.Finally I added my journalling and another subheading-summer days.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Julene. You have some really great techniques on your background, I just love all the stencil work you have done and I especially love the button coconuts! Thank you for joining us for our Kraft It Up! challenge this month. I hope to see you again.

Unknown said...

i like your embellies..that little turtle is so cute...thanks for playing along at KIU

Helene Bogren said...

Lovely layout! Thanks for playing along at KIU!

Gina said...

great layout Julene!..how cute is that turtle!..thanks so much for joining in at KIU! :)